Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Homemade Nibbles

I can’t remember if someone told me about these or I read it somewhere but I thought – what a great idea. You always get masses of seeds from a pumpkin or squash and I just throw them away. These seeds are from a butternut squash and all you do is pop them on a baking sheet, sprinkle on your flavourings, a splash of olive oil, mix together, spread them out and bake at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 10 minutes turning them halfway through. I used chilli flakes, crushed fennel seeds and salt for mine but a bit too much oil, so I will reduce that next time. Other seasonings you could use are crushed or ground cumin seeds, Garam Masala, crushed or ground coriander seeds, crushed peppercorns, chopped garlic, Ras el Hanout, cayenne, paprika or fresh chopped herbs. You could also make them sweet with honey, cinnamon, maple syrup, sprinkle of sugar, ground ginger etc. These are so quick and easy to make and cost next to nothing.

Butternut Seeds 1

The unroasted seeds

Butternut Seeds 2

After roasting – delicious

5 comments:

  1. You may have heard it from me as we have always roasted our pumpkin seeds. They hardly get a chance to cool off in this house before they are eaten!!! Have a great day Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. Its a good way of using overgrown courgettes to.

      Delete
  2. Great idea. You can use all the ends of your spices. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed and I have a lot of them.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.