Tuesday, 22 November 2016

Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

Another one of those silky smooth autumn soups great to have on a chilly day. I added some carrot to this recipe as I had one lying around plus some chilli flakes for extra warmth. If you don’t like it spicy, leave them out. A swirl of cream on top is also nice. Makes loads so I froze enough for another day.

Squash
Squash Soup
Ingredients Method
Butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 butternut squash, diced
1 sweet potato, diced
1 litre vegetable stock
Pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and Pepper
Melt a knob of butter in a large saucepan.

Add the onions, fry until soft, than add the butternut squash and sweet potato and stir for a minute coating the vegetables in butter.

Add the stock, chilli flakes, salt and pepper, bring to the boil, turn down and simmer for 45 minutes.

Blend the soup and serve with crusty bread.

6 comments:

  1. Looks good but we are totally hooked on my recipe of which the freezer has much of!! Keep warm Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many variations of this soup, but that's what makes it interesting.

      Delete
  2. I think its this butter coating that adds to the flavour. I once missed out this step and the soup was very bland. Hope all is well with you both. We are back in the UK for the winter (having been in the UK for a great deal of this year!), but we must organise another meet next spring.
    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only a knob of butter just cook the onions and if you could see the quantity I made, I don't think the butter would make much different :) I think the sweetness in the veg is all that's needed to make the soup so tasty.

      Delete
  3. Rather than all that peeling.... I recommend whacking the two, deseeded halves of the pumpkin into the oven, with a drizzle of olive oil and roast them... the flesh for a soup can be scooped out of the shell... and is great for cakes, too...and... spiced pumpkin icecream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip. I love roasted squash but hadn't thought to do it this way for soup.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.