Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Autumn Harvest

Harvest

We’d left our tomatoes, beans, courgettes, peppers, aubergines and figs to fend for themselves while away, so after a month we really thought we’d come back to nothing but rotting veg. So we were very surprised to find that we still had tomatoes ripening, figs on the tree, juicy plump peppers and courgettes the size of marrows. The beans had gone mad but they're a bit big and rubbery, so I’m going to remove the beans, have a go at cooking with them and save some to plant next year. A bucket of tomatoes have been made into pasta sauce, soup and some frozen. The figs have been slow this year but we’ve got enough to make some fig bars and crumbles. The photo above is just a fraction of what we’ve picked but I have to thank Sue for the basil which came in very handy for the pasta sauce.

Courgette

4 comments:

  1. All looks good to me. Are we not having any fig chutney this year?xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked my list and we still have 13 kilos in the freezer from last year. The chutney can be made with frozen figs so we won't be short of a jar or two.

      Delete
  2. I have dried about 900 figs this year and they were so good that they have pretty much all been eaten, I though they were going to last!!! Courgette/marrow soup is good or I have also made a lot of bottles of ratatouille. Keep well Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We dried some last year and they were great, will be doing the same this year but maybe not 900.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.