Tuesday, 10 May 2016

What we spent in April

Bread

Bit late posting our spend for April and we've gone a bit over budget which isn’t good, not a lot, but a bit. Our spend was 120€/£96 for the month which is 30€/£24 over budget. Knowing that we still have loads in the freezer, I’ve gone through all 3 of them, tidied them up and written a list of what we have. It’s very scary seeing your food all over the floor and we have a lot of it, so much so that May is going to be a minimal spend month, to get our budget back on track.

Trying not to waste anything I save all my scraps of bread, pop them in a bag and stick them in the freezer. They can then be made into breadcrumbs and used in fishcakes, for stuffing or sprinkled on top of pasta mixed with grated cheese.

7 comments:

  1. Did my big freezer yesterday, you are right, how much food to two people need. Only bought bread, milk and fresh veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see how long you can go without shopping x

      Delete
    2. Looks even worse when you put it on Excel. Why do I have profiterolles, and bought Lemon cake in there!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I am trying to work my way through our freezer, but with leeks that need eating in the garden and last years chard that I want to get eaten and out, so I can plant fresh I am not doing so well! Still have a few potatoes left as well. Also the problem with opening the door of the freezer cause you know what is in the way!!! :-)) See you soon Diane xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have last year's chard to and with the recent hot weather and then rain, it's bolted. Will pick the best leaves to eat and then compost the rest.

      Delete
  3. It is good to be organised with the food larder. I don't know what our budget is, but I don't go shopping much so I know we save money on food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your savings must fantastic as you rear your own animals and grow your food. It's a lovely feeling eating your own food x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.