Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Using Up - Plums and Figs

Continuing our romp through the freezer, we still have loads of plums and figs to use up, but I needed some different ideas with what to do with them. I loved the look of this recipe, an open fruit pie, so rustic, no soggy bottom, packed with fruit and no faffing with fluted edges. Very quick to prepare if you have pastry to hand and very delicious.

Filled Fruit Pie 1
Filled Fruit Pie 2
Filled Fruit Pie 3
Ingredients Method
Pastry
680g of any fruit you have
75g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp semolina
1 egg white
3 tbsp sugar
Prepare your fruit and mix with the caster sugar. Roll out your pastry to a 35cm circle, leaving all the ragged edges and lay on a lightly greased or lined baking tray.
To stop your bottom going soggy, brush the pastry with the egg yolk and sprinkle over the semolina.
Pile the fruit in the centre of the pastry and wrap the edges of the pastry around the fruit. Brush the pastry with the egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at Gas 6/200c/400f for 35 minutes.



7 comments:

  1. I make a similar pie, and love the general scruffy appearance of the tarts I make! Good idea about the egg white and semolina to stop the bottom from getting soggy though, and I shall definitely be using this tip of yours in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great way of using up any fruit you have. I have loads of rhubarb in the freezer so I'm going to try that next.

      Delete
  2. Looks fabulous and I love the idea of the semolina as well. Good tip. Enjoy your day Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sceptical but the pastry coating does make a difference x

      Delete
  3. Aha.... Delia's Open Crust Gooseberry Tart.... but she doesn't mention the egg yolk.
    It is, as you write, very delushus! And the gooseberry one is excellent cold as a Summer Picnic Pud....
    I keep thinking of doing this with a savory filling... using the "chair" our butcher sells... then covering the top of the patty of meat with slices of beefsteak tomatoes, before folding the pastry over... but sprinkling the tomatoes with sugar.
    Once cold and set, I think it would make an excellent picnic wedger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted, it's a copy of Delia's gooseberry version but the egg yolk is mentioned as I copied the ingredients from her book. Love the idea of a savoury version, will give that a go.

      Delete
    2. Well! That just shows how closely I follow recipes!!
      I've just looked...and there it is!!
      The yolk usually goes into the Bird's custard to have with the pie!!
      Yes, I do use the white to glaze... doh!!
      And I am always telling people to read the rubric!!
      I have now put a streak of yellow highlighter through the "1 small yolk"... what a dunce!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.