Tuesday, 9 February 2016

A Bit of an Experiment

Still playing with the dehydrator and I thought to myself, could I dehydrate already frozen fruit?? I’ve got bags of plums and figs in the freezer, so decided to get out one of each, defrost, drain off as much liquid as possible and give it a go. Because I’d already chopped them ready for a pud, the pieces were a bit small for the trays and kept dropping through the holes, but after 8 hours they were done. I’m looking forward to having a go at using whole fruit next time. The pieces came out nice and chewy and were perfect sprinkled on top of yoghurt.

Figs
Plums
Figs and Plums

8 comments:

  1. Well done. I want to have a go at our cherries. They are de-stoned in the freezer, but they say they need to be cut in half and I am wondering if I have the patience! Still giving it thought. Our rack is much finer than yours and nothing goes through it. Have a good week Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defrost, put the telly on and cut them in half. If I have to do anything that's a bit tedious I have to watch something on telly :) x

      Delete
  2. I dehydrated our cherries straight away last summer, after depipping them of course. I can't remember if I cut them in half, but I would have laid them skin sides down on the tray. I am using them as a substitute for sultanas and raisins in cakes, and they work well, even though they took a long time to dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds got our cherries but I hope to grab some this year to dehydrate. I used some of our dried plums to use in a stuffing with some apricots, it was delicious.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The figs are my favourite, so I'm going to have a go at making a fig loaf later in the week x

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are a clever bod, your own dried fruit, see what we will be doing when we are over, picking plums, and making prunes. You need to grow grapes - then you can have Currents, sultanas & raisins, as they are all a form of grape.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I don't want you to be idle :) Grapes would be lovely but we won't have any this year xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.