Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Lets’s Dehydrate

We’ve been given a fantastic present by our naughty friends Sue and Bob, a food dehydrator for looking after their house. It arrived just before Christmas, but due to visitors and our holiday I only took it out of the box properly a couple of days ago. With it looking very straighforward, I decided to start on the apples we’d been storing in the barn, which was an experiment to see how long they would last. Some of them had gone mouldy but there were enough to get me started, so I got my apple peeler out and prepared the apples for the trays. The dehydrater comes with 6 trays which you can turn to make the gaps short or tall depending on what you’re drying. I had enough apples for 4 trays but I probably could have squeezed them onto 3. Following the manual I set the temp at 55c for 6 hours and with a tip from Sue, changed the trays round half-way through as the lower trays dry quicker than the top ones and after 6 hours we had delicious, sweet, chewy apples slices, a perfect snack. I’m itching to dehydrate something else, but I want to use produce from the garden so I’ll have to wait until later in the year for that. I do have a sack of onions so will try those in the meantime. So looking forward to trying plums, figs, herbs and tomatoes and anything else I can find that would dry well. Any recommendations?

Apples 1

The new toy.

Apples 2

Our stored apples.

Apples 3

Peeled, sliced and on the trays ready for drying.

DSC07779

A yummy dried snack ready for munching.

11 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with my dehydrator, and the food I have processed keeps very well. I am still using produce I dehydrated in 2013,.... it has no mould, and although would probably not be as full of nutrition as it once was, it most certainly is still usable. And no more excess fruit or veg, because most can be dehydrated although might need a bit of blanching first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that the food will keep for a long time, but our jar of apples is half empty already x

      Delete
  2. What a clever gadget.we hope to try some when we come over, if there is any left. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to have some onions but not sure about fruit. Perhaps we can pick something up at the market to play with x

      Delete
  3. I have only got around to dehydrating our two drawers full of frozen chillies in ours so far. We only had a few apples and they were all eaten. Looking forward though to using it as soon as we have more produce. Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chillies are a good idea, I'd forgotten about those. We have a few in the greenhouse still hanging on that we could use x

      Delete
  4. Gosh another cool item, looks great, Podge loves his dried fruit. What a lovely gift, have fun playing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so chuffed to receive it. Lots of possibilities, so roll on the summer when we can play with our fruit x

      Delete
  5. What a fab present. A nice alternative way to preserve & store x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right, it makes a lovely change to freezing and making jams and chutneys x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.