Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Soggy or Crispy

My cooking of a steak and kidney pie this week, created a little difference of opinion in the kitchen on whether pastry should be soggy or crispy. My pastry top was crispy and I asked Roger if he liked it? He said he did, but would rather have it a bit soggier because he says crispy is too dry. But for me, it has to be crispy, soggy pastry is just too filling and heavy. Off course, the consistency of pastry will be different if you use it on the top, bottom or both but I’d love to hear what you prefer?

Soggy Pastry

Soggy bottom, courtesy of the BBC’s Bake Off.

Pastry

My pastry with a small patch as I had a hole!

7 comments:

  1. All depends if you are having gravy or eating it dry. If you have gravy, soggy it will end up, but with salad or new pots, crispy it must be. Just a matter of preference. Your Dad will eat it whatever it is. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely with you, crispy all the way. However I prefer crispy shortcrust to crispy flaky pastry. Tim says he agrees, but then he might just be humouring me... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about flaky because if it's too crisp it's very very messy, just like filo x

      Delete
  3. Oh it has to be crispy on the top, underneath is different. Sorry Roger for once I do not agree with you :-) Take care you two. Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try and get a firmer bottom by pre-cooking, but sometimes it just doesn't work x

      Delete
  4. Firm, crisp pastry is what I aim for when making pastry. Do I achieve it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but it gets eaten anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, nothing ever gets left behind x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.