Tuesday, 10 November 2015

My Mum’s Malt Loaf

Hubby is a big fan of Soreen malt loaf, but my Mum told me how easy it is to make your own. So here is her easy peasy recipe for the homemade variety. Just make sure you use the same mug for all the ingredients. Absolutely delicious, especially with a dollop of butter on top.

Malt Loaf

Ingredients Method
350g mixed dried fruit.
1 mug of any brown sugar.
1 mug black tea.
2 mugs plain flour.
2 tsp baking powder.
1 egg.
1 tsp mixed spice.
Soak the dried fruit, sugar and tea overnight or for a least 6 hours.

Mix in the remaining ingredients and put into a lined 2 lb loaf tin.

Cook on Gas 5/190c for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Simples.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds good, vaguely similar recipe to the cake I made for Nigel for his birthday. A bientot Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure its a tried and tested recipe handed down, but so delicious x

      Delete
  2. I agree, but usually find Soreen a bit too sticky and wet. This looks to have a better texture and I'm sure it is delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a lovely texture, nice and moist but not sticky x

      Delete
  3. Tastes even better if you can resist it for 24 hours. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no resisting, half got eaten straight away x

      Delete
    2. I wonder who that was, we will wean him of Soreen eventually. X

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.