Just as we were going to start back on the kitchen, a letter popped into the box from the water board saying we had high water consumption. That got us thinking, are we using too much? There’s no pool, we water the garden from the well and we have water butts. OK, we’ve had visitors over the year which uses extra water but not much, we’ve used extra water for some building work plus the normal washing loads and a dishwasher. But nothing major that would warrant a letter. Our last bill was estimated, so we have no idea when the problem started. So we switched everything off in the house, checked the meter and it was still turning, ahhhh, we have a problem. Next, we switched off the main stopcock near the meter and it stopped. Our deduction was a leak somewhere between the house and the meter, but where in a 40 meter pipe. So Roger started digging to check the 2 outside taps, nothing leaked. Next we capped off the water tap nearest the house to isolate the house, the meter was still going round. Sounds odd, but that was a relief because if it was a leak in the house it could have meant digging up floors, which we didn’t fancy at all. The next tap was capped and the meter stopped, so our leak was under the drive. Now the repair. Because the water pipe runs alongside the electric cable, about a meter down, we’ve decided not to repair it, but dig a new trench and install a new pipe. Temporarily, Roger is going to install the new pipe and leave it above ground until our man with a digger arrives to dig the new trench.