My first lot of Bramble Jelly just wouldn’t set even after cooking it twice. I found this odd because last year it was fine and I’d used the same recipe. After another blackberry picking session and determined to try again, I re-read the recipe and realised I had made a huge mistake. I had peeled and cored the apples instead of just chopping the whole things up and popping them in the pot. The skin and core is where most of pectin is stored, so throwing this in the compost would not have helped the jelly set at all. Phew, my 2nd attempt worked fine and was delicious on a baguette but Roger is looking forward to it with a big dollop of clotted cream. I’ve even had another go at bottling tomatoes. Fig chutney to tackle next, recipe to follow.
Cooking with whole chopped apples this time.
Dripping overnight through the muslin.
Pouring into sterilized jars.
Success, set and very tasty.
Bottled tomatoes ready for heating.
|2 kilos of wild blackberries. |
4 cooking apples, roughly chopped.
1 litre of water.
100g sugar for every 100ml juice.
|Wash blackberries and chop the apples roughly. Do not remove the skin and core as I did on my 1st attempt.|
Pop in a large pan with the water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth or bag, overnight.
Do not squeeze the muslin as this will make your jelly cloudy.
Measure the juice, then mix with the corresponding amount of sugar in a preserving pan.
Bring to the boil until the setting point is reached, then put into sterilized jars.
Makes approx 4 jars.