Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Bramble Jelly – 2nd Attempt

My first lot of Bramble Jelly just wouldn’t set even after cooking it twice. I found this odd because last year it was fine and I’d used the same recipe. After another blackberry picking session and determined to try again, I re-read the recipe and realised I had made a huge mistake. I had peeled and cored the apples instead of just chopping the whole things up and popping them in the pot. The skin and core is where most of pectin is stored, so throwing this in the compost would not have helped the jelly set at all. Phew, my 2nd attempt worked fine and was delicious on a baguette but Roger is looking forward to it with a big dollop of clotted cream. I’ve even had another go at bottling tomatoes. Fig chutney to tackle next, recipe to follow.

Bramble Jelly 1

Brambles washed.

Bramble Jelly 2

Cooking with whole chopped apples this time.

Bramble Jelly 3

Dripping overnight through the muslin.

Bramble Jelly 4

Pouring into sterilized jars.

Bramble Jelly 5

Success, set and very tasty.

Bottled Tomatoes

Bottled tomatoes ready for heating.

 

Ingredients Method
2 kilos of wild blackberries.
4 cooking apples, roughly chopped.
1 litre of water.
100g sugar for every 100ml juice.
Wash blackberries and chop the apples roughly. Do not remove the skin and core as I did on my 1st attempt.
Pop in a large pan with the water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth or bag, overnight.
Do not squeeze the muslin as this will make your jelly cloudy.
Measure the juice, then mix with the corresponding amount of sugar in a preserving pan.
Bring to the boil until the setting point is reached, then put into sterilized jars.
Makes approx 4 jars.

6 comments:

  1. I made some blackberry jam last week. I cheated and used jam sugar ( which has added pectin) but this does make it more expensive. Today I'm on to damson.
    You've been very busy... :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing this sort of thing. No damsons here, just loads of figs to deal with now x

      Delete
  2. You can also buy jelly sugar as well as jam sugar here. It all sets in 5 minutes,maybe more expensive, but my time is worth more to me for other things. I have never used a jelly bag yet and I have made grape, apple, quince and medlar jelly. Keep well Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jelly didn't take long to get to setting point, only about half an hour. What do you use to strain your fruit through? x

      Delete
    2. Depends on the fruit. If it is a soft fruit I use the juice extractor then just use the Jelly sugar, cook 5 minutes and bottle. Fruit that is very hard like quince,I chop up, cook for 30 mins just covered with water. Leave for 30 mins then pour off and use the liquid. With quince because the pectin is high, I use half the quantity of normal sugar to liquid, and boil it down till it is a rich colour about 1/2 an hour then bottle. The remaining fruit I make into chutney or jam, the latter with jam sugar, very quick. I have not tried blackberry but I would use the juice extractor. xx

      Delete
    3. No juice extractor here, so I'll stay with the muslin. You must try the bramble jelly, the smell and taste is lovely x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.