When we bought the house a year ago, we didn’t appreciate how bad the barn roof was. We could see there were a couple of leaks but nothing major, but after we moved in we realised we had a rotten beam too. It’s a lovely barn which will be Rogers workshop but due to the damp and sloping floor it wasn’t a nice place to work, so repairs needed to be done. Nothing goes to plan because when the builders arrived with their Manatou and could look in from the top, they discovered there were more rotten beams. We could have faffed around trying to repair bits here and there, but it was decided that a new roof was in order. What’s sad is the new roof beams are not as beautiful as the old, but you have to be practical and to buy old beams made to measure, you are talking about a lot of money. They are going to use some of the old oak on the ends, so some of the barn’s history will be added back in. Here is the progress so far.
|The best tiles kept, ready to be taken down and used for reroofing.|
|Sorting the tiles.|
|Removing the A frame.|
|Last beam to go.|
Rotten beam. Most of the beam ends were like this.