Thursday, 6 August 2015

Sweet and Sour Courgettes

Sorry folks but here's another courgette recipe for you all. I wasn't sure about these when I read the recipe at Selmas Table but I’m so glad I made them. They are truly delicious, crunchy with some spice, but not hot and will keep for a couple of months in the fridge. I used two different types of courgettes for my pickles but use whatever you can find. You see the lovely mixing bowl in the background, I managed to break it into 3 large pieces in my sink, not happy as I only bought it just before we came to France :(

Courgette Pickles
Courgette Pickles 1

 

Ingredients Method
500g Courgettes

1 Red onion

2tbsp sea salt

1tsp Coriander seeds

400ml White wine or cider vinegar

200g White sugar

1/4tsp Turmeric

1/2tsp Chilli flakes

1tsp Fennel seeds
Slice the courgettes in 1/2cm rings, then finely slice the onion. Layer the courgettes and onion in a bowl sprinkling the salt between the layers. Leave in the fridge for 1 hour.

Dry roast the coriander seeds in a dry frying pan for a few minutes until toasted but watch them as they will burn quickly.

Place all the remaining ingredients plus the coriander seeds into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes the leave to cool.

Without rinsing off the salt, layer the courgettes and onions into 2 sterilized jars (the size of my jar above is perfect for the amount of liquid I had).

Pour over the liquid, seal and leave to marinade for 24 hours.

NOTE – The liquid can be used as a delicious salad dressing too.

6 comments:

  1. I shall definitely give this a try. BTW your fig chutney was delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaynor, the tree is laden with figs so I will be making more this year x

      Delete
  2. Have made a note of the recipe and will give it a go when time permits....probably with next year's harvest of courgettes! As for big bowls......I use plastic ones now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a plastic one somewhere, must dig it out. I always fancied one of the China ones, so a bit miffed when it broke x

      Delete
  3. Hmmm scrummy, reminds me of pickled gherkins. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are similar, just with a bit more spice x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.