Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Grating Courgettes

I’d only turned my back on the veg patch for 2 days and look what I found, loads of plump courgettes and delicious sweet tomatoes. What am I going to do with them all?? Tomatoes are easy, just dice, throw in a bag and pop them in the freezer. But courgettes!!Courgettes 1Freezing courgettes isn’t so easy as they just turn to mush, so off to the internet I went, for a chat with Mr Google. I found a suggestion for grating courgettes, which are then ready for cakes, loaves and fritters. Grate your courgettes into a bowl and for every 1lb (450g) of courgettes add 1tsp of salt, mix well and leave for 10 minutes. Place a big handful in a tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you possibly can. Put the squeezed courgettes into a cup measure until full and then tip onto a square of waxed paper. Push down to make a patty, wrap up and pop in the freezer. 1 cup = 1lb un-squeezed courgettes.

NOTE – I used an American cup, but if you don’t have one, the equivalent is 240ml.

Courgettes 2
Courgettes 3

6 comments:

  1. So....
    lots of Chocolate Courgette Cake on the horizon then......?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and yummy courgette and cheese loaf.

      Delete
  2. I have a number of bottles of ratatouille (and mixed vegetables) which keep well, I see there are a couple dated 2013 so best we use them up as soon as this batch of courgettes are out the way!! They make amazing soup if you have the freezer space. I also bottle pasta sauce which also keeps well and saves the freezer space. Having said that soup I guess would also bottle, just not tried it. Have a good weekend Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup and pasta sauce has been made and popped in the freezer. I haven't made ratatouille yet, but we do like it so will be giving it a go x

      Delete
    2. We do the same as Diane....
      Familia Wiss and clamp-down jars from Le Parfait and others are really cheap over here...
      and the inner lids and rings for the two types are less than 10€cents each...
      hot goods into warmed jars...
      oven sterilize after filling, with lids slightly loosened or closed but not clamped down...
      120 Centipedes for 20 mins...
      tighten or clamp down on removing from oven.
      Keep very well... and are available at an instant... no need to defrost...
      and leave the freezer ready for pre-stuffed pattypans... and other goodies.
      Tim

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the tip on sterilizing in the oven. I guess you mean centigrade, not centipedes, but it did make me smile :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.