Monday, 9 February 2015

Garbure

I first had this dish when we visited Melle years ago. It was on the menu at a local restaurant and I didn’t know what it was, so I ordered it. A tureen appeared full of this delicious soup/stew, and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted. I had forgotten all about it until we went skiing recently, and there it was on another menu but as a starter. I couldn’t resist, ordered it, and this enormous dish was put in front of me. Definitely not a starter but more than enough for a main course. I had to stop myself eating it all as I wouldn’t have been able to fit anything else in. Garbure comes from the south-west of France and was a staple food of peasants. It consists of cabbage, meats and seasonal vegetables. Traditionally the meal ends with a Chabrot - you mix some red wine with the liquor and drink it directly from the plate. You can read more about it here. I had to try this recipe for myself. This recipe makes loads, but well worth it as we had enough for 2 days. It was delicious and usual, there was none left.Garbure
Ingredients Method
1/2 green cabbage, shredded
300g very thick bacon, cut into chunks
4 Toulouse sausages, cut into chunks
200g haricot blanc - tinned
4 duck confit legs (if you can’t get confit, use chicken pieces and brown them with the bacon and sausages)
3 large potatoes, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 leek, cut into slices
1 turnip, cut into chunks
2 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 bouquet garni
Salt and pepper
In a large casserole brown the sausages and bacon. Then add the garlic, leeks, beans, turnips, carrots, onions, bouquet garni, salt and pepper. Cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, blanch the cabbage for 5 minutes, then rinse in cold water.
Add the cabbage to the casserole and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Add the confit and potatoes and cook for another 30 minutes.
To serve traditionally, put toasted crusty bread onto a plate and pour over the Garbure. I prefer a bowl and crusty bread to dunk.

Serves 4 very hungry people.

10 comments:

  1. I am going to try this one, looks very yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall I cook it when you're here? x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Go for it Gaynor, well worth the 2 hours cooking time x

      Delete
  3. Wow that does look good and a huge starter!! Yum yum. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good. The starter was probably twice the size of my bowl full x

      Delete
    2. Brilliant recipe, we had it tonight but think I could have probably fed 8 (maybe 10)!!!! At least a have a few meals put away for another chilly day :-) I used a large tin of duck confit wings, excellent. Keep well think the rain is back tomorrow. Diane xx

      Delete
    3. You're right, it does make a lot and I've amended the post to say so. But it's so tasty, it's worth making the extra to have the next day x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments.