Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Apple Cake

When you have a zillion apples, you need to use some of them up, so I found this recipe in A Girl called Jack by Jack Monroe. It was delicious, very light and even more scrummy with a dollop of Creme Fraiche on top.
DSC03447
Ingredients
3 small apples.
1 tablespoon lemon juice.
100g butter.
100g sugar (I used caster).
2 eggs.
Handful of sultanas.
180g self-raising flour or 180g plain flour and 1 heaped tsp of baking powder.
1 level tsp baking powder.
Pinch of cinnamon.


Method
Preheat oven to Gas 4/180C or 350F. Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.

Peel, core and slice the apples thinly. Put in a bowl and sprinkle over the lemon juice.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, apples sultanas and mix. Add flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix. Pour the mixture into the tin. Bake for 45 mins until golden. Insert a knife into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean, it’s ready. Allow to cool before turning out.

Serve with Creme Fraiche, custard, ice-cream or cream. 

9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious but also relatively inexpensive if it is from her cookbook. I've watched Jack a couple of times on Question Time where she could certainly hold her own against heavyweight politicians...and generally speak more sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her cookbook, simple and easy recipes but so delicious. I haven't seen her in action but I'm sure she would have a lot to say.

      Delete
  2. Yum Yum, do you think it would work with pears ??? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nattie. I don't see why not. They should be equally delicious. Let me know how it turns out x

      Delete
  3. This recipe is on next weeks cooking list. sounds scrummy.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scrummy and I'm not a big pudding person. I'm sure Dad would like a big dollop of custard on it x

      Delete
    2. How right you are. he has custard with everything. I have a malt loaf in the oven as we speak, and he will have custard on that too.x

      Delete
  4. That does look good. I made an ordinary apple tart with your apples, then Nigel made an amazing Tarte Tatin which was excellent. Another one hopefully to be made tomorrow :-) Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw the Nigel's tart on your photo diary, looks delicious as I'm sure yours was too. Glad you are enjoying the apples x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.